Do you struggle to find a reading lamp that will work with your vision? Older people are more likely to experience various forms of vision loss. The right lamp should help protect your eyesight by keeping you from straining your eyes.
We’ve taken a look at some of the top reading lamps on the market. These are our recommendations for options that can help save your vision.
1. Lavish Home Sunlight Desk Lamp
This stylish lamp is available in a variety of different colors. It has an adjustable gooseneck that allows you to position the light exactly where you need it. If you’re looking for a desk lamp, this is a great choice for the home.
The light is bright and natural. The bulb emits 150 watts of power, creating a light that’s as powerful as sunshine on a bright day. This reduces the strain on your eyes without being too bright.
In addition to being good as a reading lamp, this is also a great choice if you need light to do detailed art projects. If you’re painting, doing embroidery, knitting, crocheting, or doing anything else that requires attention to detail, you want the right amount of light.
Another thing that makes this a great choice for older people is that it’s very easy to assemble and use. The user manual is very easy to follow and tells you everything you need to know. To turn the lamp on, all you need to do is flick the switch below the bulb.
Rather than using traditional electric outlets, the lamp is solar powered. Simply leave it in a patch of sun when it’s sunny outside, and it will charge. You get to have your own miniature sun in your home.
- The lamp can be mounted on a desk or table and easily adjusted in any direction.
- The solar powered bulb emits bright lights that are comparable to a sunny day.
- There are seven total finishes to choose from, so you can pick whatever best suits your aesthetic.
- Since the device is solar powered, it might not be the best for people who live in areas that don’t get a lot of direct sunlight.
2. Brightech Litespan Slim Lamp
This bright LED lamp is available with five different finishes, ranging from natural wood to metallic chrome. If you’re a fan of sleek and neutral tones, you’ll something here to suit your taste.
One of the most important features is that the lamp uses LED lights for intense brightness and high color contrast. If you’re working on hobbies that require sharp color vision, this is super helpful.
The lamp only uses 12 watts of electricity, so it doesn’t eat into your electric bill. It’s a great purchase if you’re working with a retirement budget. At the same time, the bulbs emit at least 850 lumens.
In fact, this lamp is so bright that cosmetologists often use it to do makeup for their clients. It’s very easy to see the client’s eyelashes and natural look.
There are also three different light settings. The highest is similar to natural daylight. In the evening, you can change the light to a less intense and warmer white. This is ideal if you want to read during the night without accidentally messing up your sleep schedule.
The LED lights can shine for 20,000 hours before burning out. There is also a built-in dimmer that lets you easily adjust between the different light levels. LED technology is capable of lasting longer than incandescent and halogen bulbs. It also doesn’t produce any heat.
The base is small enough to be mounted on even the most cluttered floors. At the same time, the base is heavily weighted so that the light stands stably. You can use the gooseneck to adjust the lamp’s positioning however you need it.
You can also use the lamp as a night light. The night light option uses soft orange lights instead of bright white lights. This will help you stay safe when you get up in the middle of the night.
Also included with the purchase is a three year warranty. If there are any manufacturing defects, or the lights stop working in the first three years, you can get a replacement or repair done with no problems.
- There are three white light settings along with a dim orange night light setting.
- The lamp stands stably on the floor, with a weighted base that can’t be knocked over by pets or kids without effort.
- The lamp doesn’t consume much electricity, but it’s bright enough to offer high color contrasts when you’re doing artistic work.
- Since this is a floor lamp, it’s not a very portable option if you need to travel with your lamp.
3. Allomn Mini LED Eyeglass Reading Light
If you’re looking for a reading light that can clip to your reading glasses, this is a great choice. You don’t need to worry about wrangling a large lamp or angling it as you shift positions. The light shines exactly where you’re looking.
The package comes with two reading lights, two clips, and four batteries. Since there aren’t glasses included, you will need to have your own pair of reading glasses already.
The edge of the light can be clamped onto any type of glasses legs. Once the light is clipped on, you can simply start reading. It’s ideal for people who read and do artistic crafts during the night.
The lightweight and compact size is also ideal. They won’t bend your glasses out of shape. They also won’t add increased strain on your ears or nose as you read. Reading is so comfortable that you might forget you’re using the lights at all.
The clips can also rotate 360 degrees. That means that you can adjust the angle of the light no matter how you’re holding your book. The batteries can be replaced easily when they wear down.
Since the lights clamp to your glasses, they are super portable. You can use them while you travel, while you lay in bed, and while you walk outside. Maintenance workers sometimes use them to illuminate dark areas without using their hands.
- These two lights clamp directly to the legs of your reading glasses, so you can see even if you get up and move around.
- The lightweight design is compact enough that it doesn’t add pressure to your glasses.
- Since the clips can rotate 360 degrees, you can adjust the angle of the light however you want it.
- Since the batteries are not rechargeable, you’ll need to purchase replacements when they run out of charge.
4. TaoTronics LED Floor Lamp
This floor lamp is available in black or white, so you can pick the color that best matches your decor. It has four different brightness levels and four different colors. The lamp can be dimmed and has an adjustable gooseneck for a customized angle.
In addition to being useful as a reading lamp, this lamp can also light an entire room. Pianists often use it to help them read sheet music. Office workers use it to illuminate their paperwork.
Since you can mix the four colors with the four brightness levels, you have sixteen total combinations. You can pick whatever color is perfect for your needs. One important note, however, is that the lamp is not compatible with smart switches.
The lamp creates a wide lighting area. You can use it to illuminate fine print, colored thread, wood working activities, and other artistic hobbies. If you have hobbies that require high contrast light, this is a good choice.
The LED bulb is super powerful while lasting longer than halogens. It consumes about 10 watts of power, so it doesn’t add too much to your electric bill. At the same time, the bulb can project 450 lumens and 1000 lux. The heat-free light is more environmentally friendly than many alternatives.
The gooseneck can be rotated, so you can cast the light anywhere in your room. Meanwhile, the structure is very stable. The base is wide and square. It is sturdy enough to keep the lamp from being knocked askew.
This design is very easy to assemble. You can take it from the box to operational in just three minutes. All you need to do is fit the pole into the base, fit the lamp into the pole, and you’re ready to go. You don’t even need to struggle with complicated instructions.
- The 4 colors and 4 brightness levels make this a super customizable lamp, so you can pick the perfect lighting for any mood.
- The lamp stands stably while the gooseneck allows you to illuminate any area of the room.
- The LED lights last for a long time, produce no heat, and consume significantly less electricity than halogens.
- This might not be the best choice for people who want a sunlight-level lamp, as the brightness doesn’t quite reach therapeutic levels.
5. Verilux SmartLight Full Spectrum LED Lamp
This floor lamp uses LED bulbs to save electricity. The brightness is adjustable, allowing for a relaxing experience throughout the day. Like many floor lamps, this design features a gooseneck that allows you to angle the light. The controls are also super easy to use.
The goal of the light is to reduce fatigue and eye strain. It is made specifically to help people read, paint, and do other artistic hobbies. The full spectrum of light is ideal for artists who need natural light for their color balances.
You can personalize the settings. There are five different brightness levels and three color settings. These range from daylight to warm white light.
This is a modern and sleek design that fits well with the majority of interior decor. The lamp does not flicker and has an Optix lens that reduces glare. That means that it won’t hurt your eyes the way more intense lamps might.
Each purchase comes with a one year warranty. You also have access to a full customer support team. The company has been in business for more than 60 years and pioneered several breakthroughs in therapeutic light technology.
- You can personalize your experience by choosing between 5 intensities and 3 colors.
- The LED lights are specifically designed for people who are reading, painting, and doing fine detail work.
- The gooseneck design makes the lamp super easy to adjust and maneuver.
- There aren’t as many color settings as some other lamps, so you might not have the same level of customization.
6. Miroco LED Floor Lamp
This adjustable floor lamp is a great choice if you want a customizable option that is super affordable. You can choose from four different colors and four different levels of brightness. The light is also dimmable, so you can turn it down when you start to get tired.
The brightness levels are super easy to understand. The brightest is 100 percent, in which the lights shine at full power. Then there are 75, 50, and 25 percent settings. The 25 percent setting uses low light that’s good for the middle of the night.
The available colors are cool white, natural white, warm white, and candle. Each of these serves a different purpose. Natural white is similar to sunlight. Warm white is closer to a traditional lamp. Candle is dimmer and best for use during the night.
Like other LEDs, the bulb in this lamp has a lifespan of more than 20,000 hours. You don’t need to spend as much on maintenance and replacements as with halogen bulbs. When compared to incandescent lamps, this lamp can save 80 percent on your electricity bill.
The lamp is outfitted with a flexible neck that can be easily adjusted. You can rotate it back and forth to illuminate different areas of the room.
The head of the lamp has a panel for touch controls. All you need to do is tap it to turn the lamp on. No matter whether you’re standing or sitting, it’s easy to choose your desired brightness and color.
The base is relatively small, but it is weighted enough to be sturdy. The lamp won’t be easily knocked over. Since the base is compact, you can place the product in tight corners and hard-to-reach spaces.
- You can customize your light settings by using the easily-accessible touch control panel under the head.
- The construction is super stable, while the neck can be adjusted and rotated to whatever angle you want.
- The LED bulb lasts for over 20,000 hours and can shine in 16 different lighting combinations.
- The customizable touch controls might be too complex for older people who just want to flip a switch and be done.
7. CO-Z Torchiere Floor Lamp
If you want a more classical design, this floor lamp looks like an antique. It uses a beautiful bronze pattern to accent your space. The lamp comes with a glass shade. It is one of the tallest options on the list, with a total height of 71 inches.
The lamp has been ETL listed and proven to be safe. The metal pole will not rust. Meanwhile, the opaque glass helps to deliver even lighting to all areas of the room. It softens the light, so it’s a good option for older people who are sensitive to bright lights.
The lamp only requires a little assembly. You can assemble it in about ten minutes by following the instructional guide. You can choose to use both lights at once or just one at a time.
Each purchase comes with a two year warranty from the manufacturer. If there are any manufacturer defects, you can get a replacement or a repair.
- The frosted glass softens the light, so it’s a good choice for older people with sensitive eyes.
- The antique design is great for people who prefer a more traditional look instead of sleek modern furniture.
- There are two lights that can be used together or individually, so you get whatever level of light you need.
- The metal is stiff instead of using a gooseneck design, so you can’t adjust the angle of the light.
8. Daylight24 LED Floor Lamp
This floor lamp is another good choice for anyone seeking a reading lamp. It’s one of the pricier options on the list because of the combined materials and advanced options.
Unlike all of the other options on the list, this lamp has a built-in magnifier. The 8 by 10 inch magnification screen will magnify print and other detailed objects at three times their size. You don’t need to invest in large print versions of all your favorite books!
The LED lights use very little electricity while casting powerful light. It is very easy to use the lamp, since you just need to flip the on switch. At 57 inches in height, this is an ideal magnifying lamp whether you’re sitting or standing.
The shade has a handle that lets you angle the light. You can adjust the magnifier to make it easier to use.
- There is a magnifying surface that will magnify fine print at 3x, so you don’t need large print books.
- The adjustable neck allows you to change the angle of the light and the magnifier.
- The design is super easy to use, since all you need to do is flip the on switch.
- There aren’t different brightness and color settings like with some of the competing lamps.
For a reading lamp that can be mounted on your desk, we recommend the Lavish Home lamp. This solar powered option emits light as bright as sunshine. It is super easy to assemble and use. You can also pick from seven different finishes, so you’re sure to find something that suits your personal style.
For a floor lamp, the Litespan is a good option. Not only is it sturdy and reliable, but it has multiple light settings, including a night light that can protect you when it’s dark outside.
If you want lights that can attach directly to your glasses, we recommend the Allomn lights. When you clip them to your glasses, you’ll have light even if you move from room to room. You also don’t have to worry about charging, since the lights run on battery power.
For a highly customizable experience, we recommend the TaoTronics floor lamp. You can combine the four brightness settings and four colors to create sixteen different lighting options.
If you want a lamp that includes a magnifier, the Daylight24 model is a great choice. The magnifying lens can magnify fine print at three times its normal size. If you’ve been frustrated by your need for larger print books, this lamp might solve your problems.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What types of reading lamps are there?
There are many different types of reading lamps. Different lamps may have different features like customizable light settings or magnifiers.
Generally, you’ll see lamps in three categories: clip, desk, and floor.
Clip lamps are miniature lights that can clip onto your glasses. Many people prefer them for reading because they let you move around easily.
Desk lamps are smaller lamps that can be mounted on a desk. They tend to be affordable and portable, but they might not be the most versatile.
Floor lamps are large, so they aren’t very portable. But they are the most versatile, since they can light an entire room.